Umbazooksus Stream to Lily Bay, details TBD

Home Forums Kayaking/Canoeing Umbazooksus Stream to Lily Bay, details TBD

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Marc
      Participant

Here’s an open invitation for a kayak trip from Umbazooksus Stream to Lily Bay State Park including, among other enticements: Gero Island on Chesuncook Lake, a day or so on the W. Branch of the Penobscot River, a 2 mile portage, and then the length of Moosehead Lake with a final stay on Sugar Island.

I think 5 days are needed to complete the whole thing with a modicum of leisure or 7+ days to do it with real leisure. The full trip is explained below. Feel free to make suggestions if you have them. I had a moderately disastrous failed trip last year because I didn’t take some on-line advice about water levels, so I’m all ears these days.

I’m assuming this will be a 5-7 day trip sometime between July 13th and the 21st. I can go any time during that period. It can be sliced shorter if necessary but the full trip basically goes like this.

1. Two cars drive up to Lily Bay State Park on Moosehead Lake.

2. One car parks somewhere nearby, either in the park for $4.00/day or on Mud Cove Road.

3. The other car keeps going on Lily Bay Rd. and then on to a campsite/boat landing on Longley Stream Road where Little Longley Brook meets Umbazooksus Stream just after a bridge. It’s about 2.5 hours drive from Lily Bay. From there we paddle back to Lily Bay. The rest of the numbered points are possible campsites, and did I mention a 2 mile hand carry?

4. Gero Island, Chesuncook Lake.

5. Big Island, W. Branch Penobscot River.

6. Hannibal’s Crossing, W. Branch Penobscot River at Golden Rd.

7. Portage via Northeast Carry Road from the W. Branch Penobscot River to Moosehead Lake. 2 Miles.

8. Northeast Carry Rd. to Canoe Cove Campsite at Big Duck Cove about 7 miles.

9. Canoe Cove to Big Dry Point & Outward Bound Campsite about 11 miles.

10. Big Dry Point to Sugar Island Campsites about 8 miles.

11. Sugar Island to Lily Bay State Park, about 1.2 miles.

12. Lily Bay to Longley Stream Road. 2.5 hour drive.

Total distance is about 61-70 miles according to Google Maps. The driving should be the worst part but there’s a full moon in there as a bonus, on the 16th. Fishing should be very good although I don’t have personal experience in all these areas. All of the proposed sites and locations can be found on Google maps with the exception of the Moosehead Lake campsites which can be found on the Maine State Fisheries Map at the link below.

So far I have one friend joining me from out of town.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parksearch/PropertyGuides/PDF_GUIDE/moosehead-lake-shoreline-guide.pdf

Linda Johnson
      Participant

Hey Marc

This sounds fantastic! Sadly I am not available.

I checked with a friend who is fairly familiar with some of these paddles. She suggests “Isn’t he going up the West Branch backwards? I would be concerned he is paddling that trip upriver against the current.”

I have no clue, but might be something to check out.

Enjoy!
      Linda

Marc
      Participant

She is right. Actually not only is she correct, it is pretty obvious if you are looking at a topographic map, which I wasn’t. So this trip will have to take place in reverse; Lily Bay to Umbazooksus stream. I don’t mind a little upstream paddling but not if I also have to cross Moosehead Lake. This might actually be a better trip in reverse. My experience with Moosehead is that it is fine unless there is a steady wind and then you really need a seaworthy kayak to cross it, the waves are just too much. This puts the less predictable part of the trip at the beginning, good in case the weather keeps us in camp or in our cars.

Last year I went down Roach River, without water, carrying my kayak most of the way because I didn’t listen to similar advice. Thank you.

Next time I’ll just start with the USGS Streamer map. https://txpub.usgs.gov/DSS/streamer/web/

Marc
      Participant

Updated travel plan based on minor details like the direction the Penobscot River actually flows.

Here’s an open invitation for a Maine kayak trip from Lily Bay State Park to Umbazooksus Stream including, among other enticements: Gero Island on Chesuncook Lake, a day or so on the W. Branch of the Penobscot River, a 2 mile portage, and the length of Moosehead Lake with a stay on Sugar Island.

I think 5 days are needed to complete the whole thing with a modicum of leisure or 7+ days to do it with real leisure. The full trip is explained below. Feel free to make suggestions if you have them. I had a moderately disastrous failed trip last year because I didn’t take some on-line advice about water levels so I’m all ears these days.

I’m assuming this will be a 5-7 day trip sometime between July 13th and the 21st. I can go any time during that period. It can be sliced shorter if necessary but the full trip basically goes like this.

1. Two cars drive up to Lily Bay State Park on Moosehead Lake. We may want to drop the kayaks off at Lily Bay Park or on Mud Cove Road.

2. We get back in the cars and keep going North on Lily Bay Rd. past Kokadjo and around Chesuncook Lake to a campsite/boat landing on Longley Stream Road. Look for the launch right where Little Longley Brook meets Umbazooksus Stream just after a bridge. It’s about 2.5 hours from Lily Bay. One car is left at there, the other care returns to Lily Bay where parking costs $4/day.

3. From Lily Bay State Park we cross about 1 mile of water to Sugar Island. We will already have been driving around for 6+ hours. The rest of the numbered points are possible campsites, and a 2-mile hand carry.

4. Sugar Island Campsites to Big Dry Point/Outward Bound Camp (7 miles) or Farm Island (14 miles). From here mileage between camps cannot be predetermined.

5. Canoe Cove Campsite at Big Duck Cove or Seboomook Point.

6. Northeast Carry Road.

7. Portage via Northeast Carry Road to the W. Branch Penobscot. 2 Miles.

8. Hannibal’s Crossing on W. Branch Penobscot River at Golden Rd.

9. Big Island, W. Branch Penobscot River.

10. Gero Island, Chesuncook Lake.

11. Gero Island to Longley Stream Road boat launch.

12. Longley Stream Road to Lily Bay. 2.5 hour drive.

Total distance is about 61-70 miles according to Google Maps. The driving should be the worst part but there’s a full moon in there as a bonus, on the 16th. Fishing should be very good although I don’t have personal experience in all these areas. All of the proposed sites and locations can be found on Google maps with the exception of the Moosehead Lake campsites which can be found on the attached Maine State Fisheries Map.

So far I have one friend joining me from out of town.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parksearch/PropertyGuides/PDF_GUIDE/moosehead-lake-shoreline-guide.pdf

Marc
      Participant

I’m no longer expecting to complete the entire itinerary as planned but I will still reach most of the listed destinations. Some of these areas are reasonably close to roads and would be nice day trips, for example Sugar Island and possibly the portion of the West Branch of the Penobscot River near the bridge on Golden Road in Greenville just before Ragmuff Rd. Gero Island is probably a nice day trip as well but I may not get that far. If anyone would like to join me for a day trip, preferably at the beginning or at an easily defined point like the bridge over the Penobscot, let me know.

I plan to leave on Sunday or Monday (14th or 15th) but my plans are flexible. Fishing is supposed to be very good all along the route but in honest I can’t seem to catch anything on Moosehead Lake.

I will take another longish trip like this in August when my niece arrives to join me from Michigan. Probably the third week of August.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.