Masks Continued

Home Forums COVID 19 Masks Continued

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathleen
      Participant

Hello all,
      Thank you to all who were able to donate towards masks. As a result, I was able to donate the following:
      $125 USM Foundation, Emergency Student Fund (it was matched by Maine Craft Distillery)
      $125 COVID 19 Solidarity Response Fund for World Health Organization
      I wanted to do something both local and global.

I am still making masks. If you need some let me know. Happy Earth Day, Ya’ll!
      Kathie

David Shapiro
      Participant

I was never able to come by and grab one but could still really use one if possible. Thanks david

Kathleen
        Participant

Hi David, I think I replied under Marc’s question for yours. Anyway, yes. Come on by on Saturday to pick one up. 11 McKinley Road, Falmouth.
        Kathie

Marc
      Participant

Considering a major purchase of masks to distribute but I can’t quite gauge how much need there is. I will be sending out a similar message today to local non-profits, e.g. Food and Medicine in Brewer. My sister in law is CEO of a small company that occasionally purchases n95 masks for employees. The S. Korean factories that supply them are entirely out of N95 masks and, I think, sales to individuals or for profit corporations are now illegal there. They do have a lot of the less effective surgical masks and industrial protective masks with lower than N95 ratings.

How much need do you think there is for this PPE?

Kathleen
      Participant

Come by on Saturday and I’ll have one ready for you. It will be in a tote near the garage.

Kathleen
      Participant

Hi Marc,
      It wasn’t clear where you were actually getting your masks. Yes, I think there is a need and there will be for some time to come. When things “open up” I believe that people will be looking for masks to be safe. There are many tutorials online about how to make a mask. I did a lot of research prior to making mine b/c I wanted to ensure that I was giving people a mask that actually was helpful. A less than N95 mask is helpful if it’s made with layers such as non-woven filters and other non-woven fabrics. We can have a phone conversation about it if you’re interested or you could look at the research online. A one-layer mask with no nose cinch is not safe- in my opinion. Please don’t wear those and think you’ll be protected.
      Kathie

Lisa Loomis
      Participant

Kathie,
      Hi! I could use a mask too as the one I’ve been using is wearing thin! Please let me know if you still have some available!
      Thanks.
      Lisa

Wendy
      Participant

I could use a mask as well – do you still have any available?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.