White Mountains day hikes

Home Forums Hiking White Mountains day hikes

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Anne.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt
      Participant

Hi All,
      My name is Matt, new to MOAC and hoping to team up with folks interested in day hikes in the White Mountains in NH.

I’ve recently started picking off hikes from the NH 4000 footers list (NH 48) over the summer, but really just want to go hiking anywhere interesting and challenging in the Whites. I’ve been hiking solo thus far, but would prefer to team up with some fellow hikers.

One idea is to bag two or more peaks in one day hike (might be a long day), such as:

• Lafayette, Lincoln
      • Liberty, Flume
      • North Kinsman, South Kinsman
      • Whiteface, Passaconaway
      • Osceola, East Osceola
      • South Hancock, Hancock
      • Tom, Field, and Willey
      • Washington, Monroe
      • Jackson, Pierce
      • Wildcat A, Wildcat D
      • Middle Carter, South Carter, and Carter Dome
      • Galehead, South Twin, North Twin
      • Hale, Zealand
      • Bondcliff, Bond, West Bond
      • Madison, Adams
      • Middle Tripyramid, North Tripyramid

But to be clear: any and all ideas are welcome! I’m not just focused on the NH 48 list, happy to do easy to moderates hikes in the Whites as well.

Hopefully someone’s interested, looking forward to connecting with you all!

– Matt

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Matt.
      terese
      Participant

You can post hikes you are interested in and will likely get takers!

Matt
        Participant

Thanks for the suggestion Terese, I updated my post.

Bill
      Participant

Hi Matt,
      I’ve been posting some hikes and will be posting more, but mine haven’t been as challenging as what you’ve listed. I’m working on the 52 With A View list and have done a few of the easy 4000 footers. I’d like to work up to more challenging ones. I’m going to be in Acadia this week, but I’m thinking about posting Mt. Hale soon after that. Anne Geisler has been posting more challenging hikes, so watch for her postings also.
      Bill

Matt
        Participant

Hi Bill! Just edited my post — I’m not dead set on NH 48, happy to do any hikes in the Whites really. I’m just a little weary of solo hiking at this point. If you’re up for Hale or one of the more gentler 4000 footers, I’d love to join!

Some other 4000 footers that might be reasonable day hikes:

Canon 4,100 ft
          Garfield 4,500 ft
          Jackson 4,052 ft
          Tecumseh 4,003 ft
          Waumbek 4,006 ft
          Wildcat (Peak D) 4,050 ft
          Whiteface 4,020 ft
      Anne
      Participant

Hi Matt,
      Thanks for reaching out through the Forum. As Terese said, the best way to get folks to join you on a hike is to post one and people will sign up. Not many events are organized through the Forum – almost everything runs through the calendar, and people who are interested in the activity you post (hiking, paddling, cycling, etc.) are automatically notified when a new event is added. I saw your other comment about “leading” trips, and you’re right – we’re not so much leaders as organizers. Whoever posts an event is expected to be experienced in the activity, although it may be their first time in a given location. Until recently, almost all my hikes were first time climbs for me, although I’ve done a lot of 4,000 foot mountains in ME and NH. I posted them all on MOAC and always have had at least one, usually 4-8 people, sign up to come along. I’ve now done 44 of the NH 48 and all of the ME 4,000 footers, so I’m repeating most times now, and happy to do so. Someone is always up for a mountain if you are! I usually post a 4,000 footer every weekend but I’ve been traveling so have missed a couple. Will do one next Sunday (better weather day it looks like) so if you’d like to collab or just join mine let me know, or post your own. You have to pick a place and meeting/start time, and post it at least a couple days in advance, and it’s up to you if you want people to RSVP or not. I always do, because if by chance no one signs up I might make other plans, and it helps keep a cap on group size.
      If you’re up for a 20 mile hike next weekend, I need Bondcliff and Bond and I’d like to do them from Lincoln Woods – it’s long but easier miles than Twinway. You can also tag West Bond from there although I already have so I’ll skip the extra 2 miles. I haven’t gotten many folks to sign up for such a long trip so it would probably be just the two of us, with a very early start and a long day. But the Pemi Wilderness is spectacular, and it’ll be awesome!
      Anne

Anne
      Participant

And, if you want advice on any of the 4,000 footers I’m happy to talk with you. Wildcat is the toughest one I’ve done so far, and if you do one peak, you might’s well do both of them at the same time since you’re up on the ridge. It’s a tough ridge hike though, with lots of ups and downs all the way. Garfield is one of the easiest of the 48, and gorgeous views. Do you have the AMC White Mountain Guide? It has good descriptions of all the hikes, directions to trailheads, etc. and I use it a lot, along with their White Mountain maps.
      AG

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.