New to MOAC

Home Forums Hiking New to MOAC

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Paula
      Participant

Hello, my name is Paula and I am new to MOAC. I’d like to acquire skills for hiking elevations specifically. I walked the Camino de Santiago in 2019 and have a pack, yet do not know what to carry, what my first mountain should be, etc..? Suggestions? About me: I have never been even moderately athletic, yet would like to get in better shape, but most importantly, learn to hike. Monday-Friday are the best days in summer for me…that will change in September. I have curvature of the spine and pronated legs which create challenges however hasn’t stopped me do too much, and my pace is “world’s oldest tortoise”. When an event is posted, is there a spot or person I can ask specifics? Hope to meet you soon! -Paula

• This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Paula. Reason: Checked-'notify me of follow-up replies'
      • This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Paula. Reason: spell correction
      Bill
      Participant

Hi Paula, and welcome to MOAC. I’ve been leading quite a few moderate hikes in the last year, but have been “slacking off” lately because I’ve been really busy. If you want to come to Summerfest this weekend at Camden Hills State Park, there is an after lunch “Slowpoke” hike that’s about 2.5 miles and 1000 feet elevation gain. If you’re interested, contact the trip leader. Summerfest would also be a good chance to meet other MOAC members. Please feel free to contact me directly at wdbriggs10@gmail.com, and we can “chat” more. Bill Briggs

Paula
        Participant

Hi Bill, thank you for reaching out! I am not sure I can make summerfest yet will be so close, in Bristol. However “slowpoke” sounds as thought it is right up my molasses alley, where I have been called “pokie” before! I Live in the Yarmouth area and put poles, etc. in the car before I leave tomorrow for Bristol just in case.

Marc
      Participant

Paula, Welcome to MOAC. I’ve always considered the Evans Notch region on the Maine/New Hampshire border (Rte 113 north of Fryeburg) as a kindler, gentler part of the White Mountains and a perfect introduction to hiking with some elevation thrown into the mix. The peaks there are all in the 2000 – 3000-ish foot range although depending on the height at the various trailheads, the total elevation gain is much less.

As far as what to do when an event is posted, read the description and if it seems like something within your ability, contact the trip leader listed in the event posting. They’ll be happy to discuss with you the particulars about distance, pace, elevation, etc.

I second Bill’s suggestion that you come up for Summerfest and we can talk about what to pack. Would love to hear about your experiences on the Camino de Santiago as well! My email is marchills@gmail.com.

Paula
        Participant

Hi Marc, My ears perked up at Evans Notch. I was able to go over the Pyrenees from France to Spain and 2-3K I could probably do, however I am very slow. That is something I would like to improvement, my pace, especially by learning how to save energy elsewhere; like where to ‘break’, how much water, where to step. Thank You

Steve
      Participant

Hi Paula,

It sounds like my Slow Poke hike might be something you would like to try. Not sure what you mean when referring to a pack: Day pack or overnight backpack. For summer day hiking the basics are water and a snack and a decent pair of footwear which varies with the individual. I am certainly not promoting my choice: I wear walking shoes or Cross Trainers or similar year round when I can, even when I could backpack adding traction for the winter hikes. A light jacket or raincoat may be in order too if the weather looks threatening. Saturday’s does not so far. I have never had an insect problem on this hike and we will be in the woods except at the overlook so I would consider sunscreen optional. A fanny pack may be sufficient for a snack or I will be wearing what I believe are called cargo pants, shorts actually, with large side pockets. I carry one 24 oz water bottle for a hike like I am proposing, you may want more but it is supposed to be a comfortable, low humidity day. I am not sure I am up to “Oldest Tortise Speed” or not. I’ll find out Saturday. I have developed health issues that are greatly slowing me down. You would be more than welcome on my hike. Great views overlooking Camden and Penobscot Bay to the east around to Monhegan Island to the south and if it is clear enough, Mt. Washington in New Hampshire to the west from the overlook. I welcome comments from other MOACrs if they think I have skipped or misrepresented something.

Paula
      Participant

Hi Steve, my dream would be to accomplish the mountain in your profile picture, Katahdin. I have both a daypack and 48l pack, I find the cinching waist belt helps keeps my hips in check and back supported. I also usually wear cross-trainers yet have light boots too as my ankles are “floppy” so said a physical therapist once! However, I find the boots don’t help too much with that as much as being mindful of my steps.
      –Do you ever split up your water, or carry in a ‘fanny pack’? It may seem like an odd questions like due to my scoliosis I try to be balanced better, not that 24oz with skew things too much!
      Hope to meet you soon!

Louise
      Participant

Hi, everyone! I have a few sections of the Maine AT I would like to complete this summer as a backpack. One section is over Saddleback and another over Moxie-Bald Mt in Caratunk. September is a great time to be backpacking . Both sections would be 3 days and 2 nights out and would require a car spot. I am a 65+ hiker, slow and steady and very capable. I do some occasional solo backpacking but I prefer company on these. If there is anyone interested in going on one or both of these please let me know and maybe we can make it work. -Louise

Louise
      Participant

My apologies! This was meant to be a new thread! Please ignore and I will post as a new topic! – Louise

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.